Visit cosy places
An overview of the most cosy places and villages that can be visited from our Quinta:
Monchique : at +/- 10 km distance from our Quinta. This is a small tourist city, at an altitude of about 450 m.
- Caldes de Monchique: in the first century B.C. the Romans already used the sources of Monchique to fight the tiredness of body and spirit, that is why they called them “holy waters”.
- Silves is one of the older cities in Algarve and offers a beautiful old fort. This fort attracts lots of tourists. It only takes half an hour to reach the center of Silves.
- Portimao is a harbour housing the biggest sardine fleet of Portugal. The city is located at the mouth of Rio Arade. Praia da Rocha is a very broad, beautiful and well known beach, located at the edge of Portimao.
- Lagos is a city with a colourful history and tradition. Its history began in 2000 B.C. when the Kelts reigned the city. Today Lagos is an important tourist centre. The local population lives from fishery, tourism and the sale of handmade objects of wood, iron and palm leaves .
- Sagres: visit point “Cabo de Sao Vicente”, the most southwesterly point of Europe with its dazzling cliffs of 75m high. It offers magnificent views, mainly at sunset The fortress that used to stand here was rebuilt into an impressive lighthouse with the most powerful lighthouse lamp in Europe. It has a power of 3000 Watt and if that does not ring a bell, this means that you can see up to 100 km far if weather permits.
And there is so much more :
- The rich history of Algarve offers beautiful historical locations (churches, cathedrals, …)
- Numerous museums
- Jeep safaris
- Lots of possibilities for fishermen
- Sparkling nightlife of Albufeira